If you are a resident of Alhambra, Monterey Park, or Sierra Madre, the San Gabriel Valley Municipal Water District is offering a rebate up to $60 for the purchase of up to 4 rain barrels, or up to $350 for the purchase of a cistern.
What is a rain barrel or cistern?
- It is a container that collects and stores rain water from downspouts and rooftops for future watering needs.
- A rain barrel, generally sized between 50 and 60 gallons, comes in a wide variety of materials, designs and colors.
- A cistern can hold from 200 - 1000+ gallons of rain water.
Why collect rain water?
- Help your community and environment
- Conserve water and reduce storm water runoff
- The collected water can be used for all your outdoor water needs or other household chores
- It only takes a half inch of rain from the average-sized roof to completely fill a 55 gallon rain barrel
Steps to claim your rebate:
Step 1: Rebate Guidelines
- Each service address is eligible for up to four (4) rain barrels or one (1) cistern rebate.
- Rain barrel must have a minimum capacity of 50 gallons. Rebate is $60 per rain barrel.
- Cisterns must have a capacity of 200 gallons and up to 1000+ gallons. Please check with your City to see if cisterns are allowed under municipal code. Rebate amounts will vary depending on size.
- Cistern - 200-500 gallons will receive up to $250
- Cistern - 501-999 gallons will receive up to $300
- Cistern - 1000+ gallons will receive up to $350
- Rain barrels and cisterns must be purchased as a unit and not be home made using separate parts/pieces.
- Must have a cover to prevent mosquitos, rodents and debris from entering
- Cistern must be constructed out of rigid material and must continuously hold its shape (collapsible/flexible/soft-sided cisterns are not allowed)
- The cistern must be mounted in a way that allows the cistern to receive all water unimpeded from a downspout and should be elevated 6 inches off the ground on a solid foundation
- Rebates do not apply to sales tax and labor charges.
Step 2: Purchase your rain barrel or cistern at any hardware store, home and garden store or online. If you buy locally, you will be supporting our local economy.
Step 3: Mail Rebate Application along with a copy of the sales receipt and water bill to:
Thinking Green Consultants
P. O. Box 3268
La Habra, CA 90632-3268
Step 4: Receive a check in approximately 8 - 10 weeks. Rebates are administered by Thinking Green Consultants. For more information call (855) 512 -1221